Saturday, May 10, 2008

Chocolate & Raspberry Cupcake-Muffins

Originally posted: 23 February 2007:

There was a post of Chocolate Chip Muffins (available here) that I saw on a baking community I'm a part of, that I really wanted to try. But when I had the mixture sitting in the bowl, I thought it was missing something. So I trialled out a new recipe, on Valentines Day. It worked really well, so I made them again, and these are the photos from the second time around.

The recipe was adapted by the original poster from a recipe on allrecipes.com, and I further adapted it. For the purposes of this recipe, please note that the pictures and results that I post here are from a HALF batch of the mixture.

I find these are almost a cupcake in taste & texture, hence the name of Cupcake-Muffins.




Double Chocolate & Raspberry Cupcake-Muffins

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil (canola is good)
1 cup semi sweet (dark) choc chips
1 heaped tablespoon cocoa
generous 2 handfuls of raspberries + juice (if frozen)

Mix dry ingredients (including chocolate chips) together.



Then add the milk & oil and mix together.



Add the raspberries to the double chocolate mix. This is where I have to remind you that I have mixed up a half batch here, so my notes here are for that half batch. Adjust your baking if you are making a full batch.

If you have fresh raspberries, I would say it's a good 1/4 cup, or handful. I must admit I just scooped them from the plastic bag that I'd had defrosting in the freezer, until I thought that there was enough in the mixture to give a good raspberry flavour through the muffin, without overpowering the chocolate. That would probably we pretty hard, come to think of it!

At this point, I was at the end of the bag of raspberries (they were left over from Australia Day, when I made little meringue nests with raspberries as fruit topping) so I just poured in some of the juice that was available from the defrosting and re-freezing (Aussie Day was a warm one, and it's over an hour from Dad's) and defrosting again. I think the juice enabled the raspberry flavour to move through the muffins really well.



Spoon the mixture into prepared (greased, or lined) muffin tins. I used jumbo (texas) muffin tins for my muffins, and I get 4 good sized ones out of a half-mixture.

Bake in a moderate (180C/375F) oven for 23-26 minutes. The original recipe calls for 18, but I find that I need those extra minutes. It'll be because of the raspberries!



And boy, do they turn out well! I find that the mixture bakes very neatly. It doesn't produce a cracked muffin, but neatly rounded tops. I run a knife around the edge of the cupcakes before turning them out, to ensure they haven't stuck. In a greased tin, you might find some of the chocolate chips stick to the bottom of the tin and are left behind. Don't panic! Scoop them out and slap them straight back onto the bottom of the muffin where they used to be! MMmmm smeared chocolate!!



What a dessert these babies turn out to be. Fresh out of the oven (so easy to whip up) and served still warm with vanilla ice cream, they're so good!

I wouldn't hesitate to freeze these cupcake-muffins either. Fantastic to pull out and buzz in the microwave for 40 seconds frozen (15-20 if they're not) to warm them back up.

No comments: