Friday, May 23, 2008

Chocolate Chip Cookies!

Originally posted: 29 April 2008:

I have a confession to make. I'm addicted to chocolate chip cookies. I have several recipes for them floating around. I've made them so often, I used to have one of the recipes stuck to the inside of my head. As it is, I've now formulated my own recipe, which could probably be found in a lot of cookbooks. A friend's husband loves my chocolate chip cookies, and managed to teach their 2 year old to ask me "Cookies 'izzy?"

They've got to be my foremost default cookie. I try and have the ingredients on hand at all times, and it's not that hard to do. Of course, looking in my cupboard and fridge right at the moment, before I've done shopping for the week, I've hardly got any of the ingredients! Chocolate chips? Nope. Butter? Zilch. Flour?? Get outta here. But I know it can be easily remedied.

Now that the weather has turned towards winter, and the days are colder, the nights longer, my cookie jar calls out to be filled! At the moment? It's got sultana & oat biscuits in it. These cookies are made from the same basic recipe that my chocolate chip ones come from. So, in regards to the recipe that I'm going to write up today, there are many variations, all depending on your own likes and dislikes.

But seriously - who couldn't love these cookies?



Beautiful, golden brown, crispy cookies. YUM. Eaten whilst still warm out of the oven, is sheer decadence.



First: Ingredients



See - stuff that you'll generally find in your cupboard. Butter, flour, sugar, salt, an egg... Pre-heat your oven to 375F/180C.



Take 125gms (1 stick) of softened butter, add 3/4 cup of brown sugar, that you've lightly packed, and 1 tsp of vanilla. Cream it baby. That's right, either in your mixer, or work those arm muscles, but get it to a point where it's nice and fluffy.



Add an egg and mix it in.



Then get 1 & 1/2 cups of plain flour, 1 good tsp of baking powder, 1/2 tsp of baking soda & a pinch of salt. Mix that in with the wet ingredients until it all comes together in a gorgeous mess.



Choc chips! MOAR CHOC CHIPS! No, seriously. At least 150-175gms of choc chips. Add more (or less...) until the mix resembles something that your heart desires.



Like this. Isn't it gorgeous? Don't you just want to eat it up? Well, don't eat TOO much of it, otherwise you'll (a) get sick from eating too much, and (b) end up with many less cookies at the end.



Look at these bundles of yumminess. Aren't they cute! Take a tsp and drop spoonfuls on a baking tray that's either covered with baking paper (the cookies just slide right off) or a silicon tray (less sliding, but same principle) or grease it up (slight sticking? You might lose a couple of choc chips...). ANYWAY get that tray done and spoon the mixture on. It can't wait to get in the oven!



Press each cookie down slightly with your fingers, or don't. It's up to you, how tactile you are. The cookies will still bake wonderfully well if you don't.

Put the tray in the oven for 12 minutes, and check them when the buzzer goes. If you think they're too light, put them in for another 2 minutes. Looking nice and brown? Take 'em out! (It's all about how your oven bakes, whether it's a hot/fast oven, or a cool/slow oven...)



Aren't they adorable! Don't you want to just eat them all up?!?! I know I do! I started trying to upload these photos a week ago, but Flickr wasn't having any of it, and I just ended up baking more cookies!!

Easy, quick, tasty & wonderful recipe. Hope you enjoy it!

Chocolate Chip Cookies

125gm (1 stick) softened butter
3/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 tsp good vanilla
1 egg
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
150/175gms chocolate chips

Pre-heat oven to 375F/180C, and line a baking tray with baking paper, or grease it up.

Cream the butter, sugar & vanilla together until light & fluffy. Add the egg & mix well. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt, and mix until combined. Add the chocolate chips, and mix. Drop spoonfuls of mixture onto baking tray, and bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown.

Makes approximately 30 cookies.

Stay tuned for Cheese & Chive Scones!!

No comments: