Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Banana-manana Muffins

I love a banana muffin. I love one for breakfast, even though there's probably too much sugar in it for early in the day. Sometimes, it just doesn't matter.



I found this great recipe on Taste.com.au, for Warm Banana Muffins with custard, but I was just looking for a plain banana muffin recipe. This one looked great, so I just ignored the "add custard after they've baked" part. And what a great recipe. Simple, easy to put together, and the result? I tend to eat more than one when they come out of the oven. What could be a better recommendation than that!

Banana-manana Muffins! (OK that's just my name for them!)


Combined 1 1/4 cups of self raising flour (or, like I do 1 1/4 cups plain flour & 2 1/2 tsp of baking powder) and 1/2 cup brown sugar in a bowl.



Mash up two ripe bananas.


Mix into the mashed banana, 40gm butter, melted, 1 egg and 1/3 cup milk.


Add it to the dry mixture.


Mix it all up until combined. Spoon into greased muffin tins, or muffin cases in the tin. It should divide well between 4-6 jumbo/Texas muffin tins. I like to make big muffins with this mix, but making smaller ones (more cupcake size) works really well too, and you end up with about 8 muffins. Bake them @ 200C for 25 minutes until browning and cracked on top. Cool in tin for 5 minutes, and then turn out.


Devour!

Because it's a relatively small muffin batch, and due to the fact that you use 2 ripe bananas, the muffin is deliciously banana-centric and really moist.

Kept in an air-tight container, they last well for 3-4 days.

I can't recommend this recipe enough. It is SO good, wonderful, easy and what a result!

Warm Banana Muffins

Ingredients (serves 4)

  • 1 1/4 cups self-raising flour, sifted
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 40g butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 1/2 cups prepared custard

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease 4 large muffin pans. Combine flour and sugar in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre.
  2. Using a fork, whisk butter, egg, milk, and bananas together in a jug. Add to flour mixture and fold together until just combined.
  3. Spoon into prepared pans and bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to serving plates.
* * *

As an aside, I would like to make a quick apology for the lack of updates. I was so excited when I moved my food blog, and then suddenly Real Life took over in a nasty way. Now that it's settled down somewhat, I'm back posting.

Other things I'm posting in the near future:
  • Quick and Easy Chocolate Sauce
  • ANZAC Biscuits
  • Macaroni Cheese with bacon & mushrooms
  • "Glick's Bakery" in Balaclava, Victoria
  • "The Chokolait Hub" in Melbourne, Victoria
I can't wait to show you The Chokolait Hub! It's one of the best Chocolaterie's in Melbourne and it's simply delightful.

No comments: